Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Keeping it Old School

Okay, all together now: sing the opening line of "The Sound of Music" with your best mock-operatic voice.

Good. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I have a confession to make: when I was a kid, I watched this 1966 Rodgers and Hammerstein classic so many times that the VHS tapes nearly gave out on me. (Yes, tapes. The movie is so darn long, the first tape ends with "Intermission," not "The End.")

I'm sure I'm not alone in my love and nostalgia for the musical, which is, I admit, too nauseatingly saccharine to feel like a true account of the von Trapp family's story. (The Monterey County Herald put it more delicately, calling the musical's version of Maria von Trapp's accounts a "basically true" adaptation. Kudos for subtlety.) In my view, it's loved by so many people because, in a way, it spans many genres. All at once, it's a good chick flick, a family favorite, a historical documentary with interesting commentary and an excuse to hum along with catchy tunes. What else do I need from a movie?

Anyone who agrees should check out Western Stage's production of "The Sound of Music" this weekend or next; I hear it's not too shabby but for the occasional imbalance of orchestra and voices.

When: Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 2pm through Aug. 23

Where: Western Stage at Hartnell College, 156 Homestead Ave. in Salinas

Cost: $30 for general admission; $20 for seniors, children and military

Tickets & Info: (831) 375-2111 or www.westernstage.com

No comments: